In this article, we will learn how to create a Team in Microsoft Teams in step by process and what happens in SharePoint and in office 365 when we create a team. In my previous article Getting started with Microsoft Teams in Office 365 we have learned what is Microsoft Teams and how to install and configure the Microsoft Teams.
Create Teams in Microsoft Teams step by step process:
Login to the Microsoft Teams web site – “https://teams.microsoft.com/” and click on “Create team” button as mentioned below:
Click on “Build a team from scratch”
I will show how to create team from an existing Office 365 group or team in another article.
Select the default as “Private“in What kind of team will this be?
- As name implies Private team means people need permission to join.
- In public team anyone in your organization can join.
- Or-wide: Everyone in the organization automatically will be joined.
Provide the team name, description then click on “Create” button.
We will see the “Creating the team…” status.
Then we will see “Add members to SharePoint migration Team” page where we can add the members like below.
- Distribution list,
- mail enabled security group
Then click on “Add” button.
After adding the members to the team – the teams will look like below:
How to manage the teams in Microsoft Teams?
Select the particular teams from the “Your teams” left-side panel – click on the ellipsis( the ‘three dots’ “…”), then we will get the below options:
- Manage team
- Add channel
- Add member
- Leave the team
- Edit team
- Get link to team
- Delete the team
Lets see – what happens in SharePoint when we create Teams in Microsoft Teams?
Now login to the SharePoint admin center page – “https://globalsharepoint2019-admin.sharepoint.com/” then click on “Active sites” report where we can see that the teams “SharePoint Migration Team” we have just created in Microsoft Teams with the same name a team site has been created in SharePoint.
So it is proved that both are integrated Microsoft Teams cannot live without SharePoint.
Metadata available for Microsoft Teams in SharePoint Admin Center:
Select the SharePoint Migration Team site which is created thru the Microsoft Teams, and in the right-side panel we can see the site metadata.
Lets access the Microsoft Teams site in the browser. So we can see it is same as other SharePoint team site.
Lets see – what happens in office 365 when we create Teams in Microsoft Teams?
Login to Microsoft 365 admin center, using the “https://admin.microsoft.com/” URL.
Click on “Groups” link from “Groups” section left-side panel – in the center “Groups” report we can see the that one office 365 group has been created with the Microsoft Teams name which we have created in Microsoft Teams.
Now lets open this office 365 group – how does it look like?
We can see that this exactly same as other office 365 group which has all settings.
- Microsoft Teams
Should we restrict to create Team in Microsoft Teams?
Yes, it is not recommended not to allow all users to create Team – as we know team creates a team site in SharePoint, so if this is not handled proper way – lot of sites will be created in SharePoint, in that way SharePoint tenant will be completely messed up – and administering will be very much complicated.
Manage who can create Office 365 Groups
This we cannot control thru the SharePoint admin center or Microsoft 365 admin center. We need to have separate license in Azure and using PowerShell we can control this.
License needed to achieve this Azure AD Premium licenses assigned to users.
Step 1: Create a security group for users who need to create Office 365 Groups
Step 2: Install the preview version of the Azure Active Directory PowerShell for Graph
Step 3: Run PowerShell commands
Step 4: Verify that it works
Reference URL: Manage who can create Office 365 Groups
Thus, in this article we have learned the below:
- Step by step process to create teams in Microsoft Teams.
- What happens in SharePoint online when we create a teams in in Microsoft Teams.
- What happens in office 365 when we create a teams in in Microsoft Teams.
- How Microsoft Teams and SharePoint are integrated.
- Manage who can create Office 365 Groups.
- Getting started with Microsoft Teams in Office 365
- Manage who can create Office 365 Groups
- How to create Teams in Microsoft Teams – Office 365
- How to add channel in Microsoft Teams
- Where do the Microsoft Teams channel conversations and files get saved?
- Create modern team site using PnP PowerShell – SharePoint
- In 2 steps convert a classic SharePoint page to modern using PnP
- In 4 steps access SharePoint online data using postman tool
- SharePoint REST API: GET vs POST vs PUT vs DELETE vs PATCH