3,717 total views, 2 views today
Recently, in the SharePoint StackExchange Site, one of the community members had asked this question “What might be the correct learning route for a junior developer?” to help my blog visitors I will describe the answer below:
- FAQ: SharePoint learning route for a junior developer(SharePoint skills matrix)
FAQ: SharePoint learning route for a junior developer(SharePoint skills matrix)
Question: What might be the correct learning route for a junior developer?
Welcome to the world of SharePoint. You are on the right track am I am sure you will shine in your SharePointing career. As you said that you already know about how to customize the SharePoint using CSOM, workflow, etc and you are well versed in Asp.net, MVC, REST API, and other dot net related stuff. And SharePoint is built on .net framework – you have a solid background of dot net and some knowledge on SharePoint – then you have a good combination – it will help you in the long run.
There are major versions of SharePoint – SharePoint On-Premise and SharePoint Online. In both the core concept of SharePoint and purpose is the same – i.e – collaborative way document management, of course, we could do many other things in SharePoint but document management is the core purpose.
Understand the below concepts of SharePoint:
- What is SharePoint farm
- How do multiple servers get connected with each other, then what is the role of each server?
- What is a web application – how does it handle the web request?
- When to use site collection, when to use the subsite.
- How to handle the custom column through the content type.
- Various types of lists – like a document library, custom list, etc. in which scenario what type of list we should use.
- Understand the various feature in site collection level and site level – what is the concept of those.
- How to handle the permission in SharePoint in granular level (like from the bottom object like an individual list item, folder, list /library/, site/ site collection, etc. – it is very important.
- From the above top, three are related to SharePoint on-premise – rest all common for both the on-premise and SharePoint Online.
- Once your core concept of above each SharePoint object is clear – you can easily customize them using any of the coding techniques like – REST API, CSOM, Workflow, JSOM, SPFX, etc – and your dot net background is plus point.
- Try to create a trial office 365 account and play around on the SharePoint part, mainly PowerApps, PowerAutomate (Microsoft Flow), and some sort Azure connectivity from SharePoint online to Azure and Vice versa.
- Once you are confident about these core concepts – you can propose any type of business solution to the customer based on the scenario and needs. It is not mandatory one should be good enough to write the code while proposing the solution., most of the customers prefer code less solution – plug and play configurable.
- As you mentioned – you are a bit worried about the custom app development as you don’t have knowledge on it – no, problem – as mentioned in very few scenarios people go with a hardcore code-based solution – most of the business-related apps is easily configurable from the app store – and many customs apps are available in the GitHub – in that case, we need to have basic knowledge of SharePoint SPFx framework – so that we can customize as per our needs.
- As SharePoint is a vast topic, once you start, you will get an idea and where and how to move.
Where can we find the resources to learn SharePoint?
- Youtube is the best media to learn any new technology and also in google a lot of resources are available.
- You may register in the Pluralsight site for the SharePoint course.
You can download the SharePoint Online & Office 365 Administration free eBook from here:
Download SharePoint Online & Office 365 Administration eBook
Get the PDF eBook from here:
Send download link to:
All the best, happy learning 🙂
- SharePoint StackExchange Question: What might be the correct learning route for a junior developer?
You may also like the following SharePoint tutorials:
- Create custom property in SharePoint Framework – SPFx web part pane
- Understanding solution structure in SharePoint framework (SPFx)
- Develop your first hello world web part in sharepoint framework (SPFx)
- Column header formatting in SharePoint list Quick Edit or Datasheet View
- Enable and configure information rights management (IRM) in SharePoint Online
- Manage recycle bin in SharePoint Online – Office 365
- In 4 steps create office 365 trial account – sign up free subscription
- Add more than 5 conditions in InfoPath form’s rule
- How to validate the date column in Infopath form
- How to a copy list item to another list using SharePoint designer workflow
- SharePoint Framework (SPFx) development environment Setup step by step
- 3 ways add a picture library in the communication site – SharePoint Online
- SharePoint generation or version history from the year 2000 to 2020
- Office 365: Getting started with SharePoint PnP PowerShell – installation
- In 2 steps convert a classic SharePoint page to modern using PnP
- Office 365: Retrieve hub sites and associated sites using PnP Powershell
- Create a modern team site using PnP PowerShell in SharePoint
- In 4 steps access SharePoint online data using postman tool
- SharePoint admin center: Learn SharePoint online administration in an hour – step by step
- SharePoint REST API: GET vs POST vs PUT vs DELETE vs PATCH
- Office 365: Understanding the hub site in SharePoint online
- Create SharePoint online list using PnP provisioning template
- List Template IDs In SharePoint Online/SharePoint 2019/2016/2013/2010/2007