In this article, we will learn how to create a Microsoft 365 developer program account in step by step process. Generally, when we want to explore Microsoft 365 products like SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, PowerApps, Power Automate, Power Pages, etc., we think about creating a trial tenant in Microsoft 365. The challenges in this are that this trial would be for a period of 30 days; after that, you cannot use it. One more thing is that at the time of trial tenant creation, it will ask you to enter your credit card information, and after 30 days from the second month onwards, Microsoft will start creating bills for you.
So, this becomes a challenge for the student, professional learner (an employee wants to have their own trial tenant), home user, etc. So what is the solution to this? The answer is that apart from the Office 365 trial tenant subscription, Microsoft does provide a Microsoft 365 developer program where you can create your own tenant for a period of 90 days, and later on, based on your tenant’s usability, Microsoft will extend it automatically.
What is Microsoft 365 developer program?
the Microsoft 365 Developer Program is a platform and subscription-based program provided by Microsoft that offers developers a set of tools, resources, and benefits to build, test, and deploy applications and solutions on the Microsoft 365 platform.
Microsoft 365, formerly known as Office 365, is a suite of cloud-based productivity tools and services that includes popular applications like Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and more. The Microsoft 365 Developer Program allows developers to extend the capabilities of these applications, integrate with other Microsoft services, and create custom solutions tailored to the needs of businesses and end-users.
Key features and benefits of the Microsoft 365 Developer Program typically include:
- Access to Microsoft Graph API: Developers can use the Microsoft Graph API to integrate their applications with data and services from Microsoft 365, allowing them to create intelligent and connected solutions.
- Developer Sandbox: The program often provides a sandbox environment where developers can test and experiment with their code without affecting production data.
- Learning Resources: Microsoft offers various learning resources, documentation, tutorials, and sample code to help developers get started and improve their skills.
- Community and Support: Developers can engage with a community of fellow developers and Microsoft experts to seek help, share knowledge, and collaborate on projects.
- App Publishing and Certification: Once developers have built their solutions, they can publish their apps on the Microsoft AppSource marketplace and earn potential revenue. Additionally, Microsoft might offer certification programs to validate the quality and security of their apps.
Create Microsoft 365 developer program account step by step
Follow the below steps to create a Microsoft 365 developer program subscription:
Step 1: Sign in to Microsoft
Open the Microsoft 365 developer program site.
On this page, you will see two options:
- Join now
- Join as a Visual Studio subscriber.
Click on the join now link.
- If you already have a Visual Studio subscription, you can choose the second option (Join as a Visual Studio subscriber).
Once you click on the “Join Now” link, this will take you to the login page, where you need to login using your personal Hotmail or Outlook account. If you do not already have a Hotmail or Outlook account, you must create one.
Step 2: Answer basic questionnaires
In this section, enter the following information:
- Country/Region: Select your country from the drop-down list.
- Company: Enter your company name; if you don’t have a company, you can enter any meaningful text.
- Language preferences: Select your preferred language from the dropdown list.
- Select the accept the terms and conditions checkbox.
- The last checkbox is optional; if you want to get product information notifications in your email, you can select it.
Create Microsoft 365 Developer Program today – Please answer few questions
Click on the “Next” button.
What is your primary focus as a developer?
Select any of the answers from the list.
What is your primary focus as a developer – Microsoft 365 developer program
What areas of Microsoft 365 development are you interested in?
Select as many as you can from the given options.
Click on the “Save” button
Step 3: Set up your Microsoft 365 E5 Sandbox
In this section, you will have two options:
- Instant sandbox
- Configurable sandbox
Select “Instant Sandbox,” which will come with preconfigured data and configuration.
- Select “Configurable Sandbox” if you want to create your sandbox environment from scratch.
- From these two options, “Instant sandbox” is the recommended one.
Click on the “Next” button.
Step 3: Set up your Microsoft 365 E5 Sandbox credential
Create your admin account username and password.
- Enter your admin username
- Enter your admin password
Set up your Microsoft 365 E5 Sandbox – admin credential
Fictitious user credential:
Your instant sandbox comes with 16 fictitious users pre-installed. For those users, you can configure the same admin password or can create a one.
Click on the “Continue” button.
Step 4: Add Phone number for security
In this section, you need to enter the following:
- Your country code is: This will be automatically populated from the previous screens.
- Enter your valid mobile number.
- Click on the send code button.
- Enter the code you received in your mobile
Click on the “Set up” button.
Then, you will see “Setting up your developer subscription now” screen.
Step 5: Microsoft 365 developer subscription setup completion
By now, your Microsoft 365 developer subscriptions have been completed.
Microsoft 365 developer subscription
- The domain name will be created automatically. If you want to update your domain name, we cannot do it here; that can be done through the Azure portal.
Step 6: Configure the technologies and languages
Then, on the same screen, you need to configure the technologies and languages you need for your tenant.
Click on the “Apply” button.
That’s it; your sandbox tenant is ready.
Step 7: Test your tenant
Login to your Microsoft Online tenant using the admin account you created.
- Here you have two options: “Ask later” or Click on the “Next” button to configure the Microsoft Authenticator app for the second level of authentication.
- If you go with the “Ask later” option, you have 14 days to configure the Microsoft Authenticator app; after this period, you must login using the authenticator app or second-level authentication.
- If you click on the “Next” button, this will take you to the Microsoft Authenticator app. Follow the below steps to configure the Microsoft Authenticator app.
How to configure Microsoft Authenticator App
In this section, we will learn how to configure the Microsoft Authenticator app.
Click on the “Next” button from the above step or login to this Microsoft Online Portal.
In the “Keep your account secure” screen, you can download the Microsoft Authenticator app if you don’t have it and click on the “Next” button to complete the configuration.
Or, you can go with the other option, “I want to set up a different method“. This will allow you to configure the Microsoft Authenticator app using your mobile number or Authenticator app.
For this demo, I have selected “Phone” from the “which method would you like to use?”
Click on the “Confirm” button.
On the next screen, select your country and enter your valid phone number.
Click on the “Next” button.
Enter the 6 digit code you have received in your mobile.
Then, click on the “Next” button, we can see that SMS verification is successfully done.
Now, using the Microsoft Authenticator app or mobile method, login to the Microsoft 365 Admin center page. You will see the below screen.
Summary: Microsoft 365 developer program subscription (Multi factor authentication MFA)
This article provides a comprehensive guide for aspiring developers to join the Microsoft 365 Developer Program at no cost. The article offers a step-by-step walkthrough, outlining the registration process, accessing the necessary tools, and leveraging the benefits of the program. By following the detailed instructions, readers can gain access to the Microsoft Graph API, utilize the developer sandbox, and explore a wealth of learning resources to enhance their development skills. With a strong focus on empowering developers and fostering a supportive community, this post equips individuals with the knowledge and tools needed to embark on their coding journey within the Microsoft 365 ecosystem.
FAQ: About Microsoft 365 developer program subscription
Following are frequently asked questions and answers about the Microsoft 365 developer program subscription:
What is the Microsoft 365 Developer Program?
The Microsoft 365 Developer Program is a subscription-based platform that provides developers with tools, resources, and benefits to build and deploy applications on the Microsoft 365 platform, which includes popular productivity tools like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Is the Microsoft 365 Developer Program free to join?
Yes, the Microsoft 365 Developer Program is free to join. It offers a no-cost subscription tier that grants access to essential development tools and services.
What benefits do I get from the Microsoft 365 Developer Program?
Subscribers to the Microsoft 365 Developer Program gain access to the Microsoft Graph API, a developer sandbox environment, learning resources, and a community of fellow developers for support and collaboration.
How do I sign up for the Microsoft 365 Developer Program?
To sign up, go to the Microsoft 365 Developer Program website and follow the registration process. You’ll need a Microsoft account to get started.
What is the Microsoft Graph API, and how can I use it?
The Microsoft Graph API allows developers to integrate their applications with data and services from Microsoft 365. It provides a unified endpoint to access data across multiple Microsoft services like Outlook, OneDrive, and Teams.
Can I test my applications before deploying them to production?
Yes, the Microsoft 365 Developer Program offers a sandbox environment where you can test and experiment with your code without affecting production data or services.
Is there any certification for apps developed in the program?
Yes, Microsoft offers certification programs for apps developed by program subscribers. These certifications help validate the quality, security, and compliance of your apps.
Can I publish my apps to the Microsoft AppSource marketplace?
Yes, as a program subscriber, you can publish your developed apps to the Microsoft AppSource marketplace, potentially reaching a wide audience and generating revenue.
Are there any restrictions on the types of apps I can build with the Microsoft 365 Developer Program?
The program allows you to build a wide range of apps and solutions tailored to the Microsoft 365 platform. However, you must adhere to Microsoft’s guidelines and policies regarding app development and usage.
How can I connect with other developers and seek support within the community?
The Microsoft 365 Developer Program offers a community forum or platform where you can interact with fellow developers, ask questions, share knowledge, and collaborate on projects.