Convert NSF files to PST format – this technical write-up will present some of the great ideas through which users can easily move their Lotus Notes database files into PST. In addition, we will also suggest you one solution which helps to convert NSF to PST in the least amount of time and with perfection.
The usage of email clients is growing at a very high pace as they help to manage emails quickly and professionally. In the email client market, both Lotus Notes & MS Outlook are the big names. If we talk about HCL Lotus, it has been used widely globally, but after Outlook came into existence, users looked for migration towards it.
Using Lotus Notes is quite difficult compared to Outlook due to its intuitive user interface. Therefore, many businesses are now looking to adopt Microsoft Outlook because of such reasons. Lotus Notes save all information/data into an NSF file, and Outlook uses PST to do the same. If you are one of them and want to convert NSF to PST, this blog will present several ways to make the conversion easier for users.
What is a NSF file?
A NSF file, also known as a Notes Storage Facility file, is a database file format used by IBM Lotus Notes and Domino. NSF files store various types of data, including emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, and more. Lotus Notes is an enterprise-level email and collaboration platform that allows users to create, manage, and share information within organizations.
NSF files are structured databases that use a document-oriented model, where data is stored in documents rather than tables. Each document can contain multiple fields and attachments. The data within NSF files is organized in a hierarchical structure, with databases, folders, and documents.
In Lotus Notes, users can create, send, receive, and store emails using NSF files. The NSF file format supports advanced features like encryption, replication, and access control, which are essential for secure collaboration within organizations.
To access NSF files, users typically require Lotus Notes or IBM Domino, the server counterpart of Lotus Notes. These applications allow users to open, view, edit, and search the data stored in NSF files. Additionally, there are tools available that can convert NSF files to other formats, such as PST (Personal Storage Table) for Microsoft Outlook, to facilitate data migration or interoperability between different email systems.
In summary, NSF files are database files used by Lotus Notes and Domino to store various types of data, primarily for email and collaboration purposes within organizations.
Why do users look to convert their Lotus Notes NSF file to Outlook PST?
Multiple factors are behind the user’s thinking towards switching the email client from Lotus Notes to Outlook. We have mentioned some of them, which you can look at them:
- Users can access Outlook and Lotus Notes through their application, but the Lotus Notes application takes more time to load.
- Outlook creates two database files, i.e., OST & PST. Users can also access their data when there is no internet connection through an OST file. On the other hand, Lotus Notes users cannot access their data without the internet.
- Microsoft Outlook offers one of the best data security features and data management features.
- Users can work on multiple profiles simultaneously, but Lotus Notes does not offer such flexibility.
- Outlook is a cost-effective email client, whereas HCL Lotus costs way costlier than Outlook.
- Maintaining MS Outlook is cheaper compared to Lotus Notes.
- Users can search out any required item in Outlook using its search feature, but Lotus Notes does not have a responsive search function, which creates a problem while using this feature.
Outlook has many advanced features, making it a better competitor in the email client niche. However, if you are planning to shift from the HCL Notes into Outlook, you need to transfer data from the NSF file into PST.
Manual NSF to PST Conversion Method
A large percentage of users might have confused about picking up the right strategy to convert files. However, you don’t need to worry at all as in this write-up we have demonstrated some of them.
If we look at the manual methods to convert NSF to PST files, it comes with many challenges if the user doesn’t possess the technical knowledge. There are two phases of the manual method. In the initial phase, users need to export the NSF file into CSV, and in the subsequent phase, users need to import the resultant CSV into PST.
Conversion Phase 1: Convert NSF files to PST format
Export NSF into CSV file
User needs to open the Lotus Notes application, and after they need to follow a certain procedure. We have mentioned the processes, which are as follows:
- Navigate to the File tab of the IBM Lotus Notes application.
- Select the Open option and then select the IMB Notes application.
- After selecting the required NSF file, click Export.
- In the next step, the user can rename the file name, select the appropriate location, save the resultant file and select the CSV file format from the dropdown. Finally, click on the Export button to start initiating the process.
- Also, you will get the additional setting option. After customizing them, press the OK button.
After following the above procedure, the NSF to PST conversion process will begin. Once you get the CSV file, then start phase 2 of conversion.
Conversion Phase 2: Convert NSF files to PST format
Import CSV into Outlook
- Open Microsoft Outlook and go to the File tab.
- Select the Open/Export and then Import/Export option from the Outlook File.
- After moving from the above option, you need to select the import from the program option
- With the help of the Browse button, choose the desired CSV file. Click the Next button to continue the conversion task.
- Press the Finish Button to end the conversion process.
This method also has many drawbacks, which the user should be aware of before starting the file transfer process. If a user does not know how to convert NSF to PST safely, they should avoid the manual method. Alternatively, users can also take assistance from IT experts to commence the conversion efficiently.
Direct & Reliable Process to Convert User NSF file into PST
Irrespective of going with the manual conversion solution, why does not straightaway look towards reliable third-party software? A utility like Shoviv NSF to PST converter eliminates the risk of losing data during the conversion. This software can convert NSF to PST while taking a minimal amount of time and with perfection.
Users can do the bulk conversion without overthinking the size of NSF files. The tool is capable of processing even the large size NSF file. After the addition of the NSF files, the software users view each content under its preview pane. It will add extra surety about the correctness of the added data.
Due to its filter facility, users can easily add any required data and vice versa. The user can also choose its incremental export option, adding extra security to eliminate the risk of data duplicity. Using the software is like a breeze to convert NSF to PST and any user who even is less technically sound can also do their task with ease.
There are more features that come with this utility; some are folder mapping, email translation features, and many more. It comes with a free version through which testing its performance will become easier.
Summary: What we had here (Convert NSF files to PST format – NSF files to outlook)?
Practically, it is a complex task to transfer the NCL Notes data into the Outlook account safely. However, there are procedures that will make your work easier. The manual methods we have discussed to convert NSF to PST with which you can successfully convert the file, but even a single mistake can destroy the process. As precaution is better than cure, the user should employ reliable NSF to PST software to avoid conversion glitches.
See Also: Lotus notes migration to office 365
- Migrate from Lotus Notes to Microsoft 365 or Office 365
- Migration Tool in SharePoint: Top 3 SharePoint Migration Tools (Metalogix, Sharegate, FME migration-center)
- Top 28 Keys in SharePoint Migration: Basic tips and tricks in migration project