In this troubleshooting technique, we will learn about how to fix the wrong tenant credential error in SharePoint online.
Before getting into this article, you may also want to read:
Issue Description: Wrong tenant credential error in SharePoint online
Recently I was working on configuring the hybrid environment for our tenant. In order to do that, I picked up the Hybrid Picker Wizard and following the instruction started the configuration. In the initial steps, this will validate your on-premises SharePoint credential and SharePoint online credential. I was using the same account for both on-premise and online wherein on-premise SharePoint authentication was successful but authentication in SharePoint Online was failing – an error message was saying that “Wrong tenant credential.” like below:
It was strange!!!. I had tried to log in to SharePoint online site using the same credential it was successful, tried to connect SharePoint online site thru the ShareGate migration tool using the same credential, and it was successful. It became strangest.
In order to do the hybrid configuration as an alternative approach, Microsoft has provided two inbuilt PowerShell Script, tried to execute those scripts there also faced the same authentication issue.
Solution: Wrong tenant credential error in SharePoint online
- If your account has MFA(multi-factor authentication) enabled in Azure AD, you cannot connect to SharePoint online using PowerShell or Hybrid Picker Wizard as a temporary solution for time being disable the MFA in Azure AD, then after getting your work done enable it back – after MFA disabling you will not face the above issue.
- Have a dedicated service kind of admin account without MFA enabled and use this account for all sorts of PowerShell execution with respect to SharePoint online and Hybrid Picker configuration – as per me this is recommended or a good choice over the previous one.
Summary: Wrong tenant credential error in SharePoint online
Thus, in this troubleshooting technique, we have learned about how to fix the wrong tenant credential errors in SharePoint online.
See Also: SharePoint Online Learning
Access SharePoint Online data using Postman tool:
You may also like the below SharePoint Online learning tutorials:
- Office 365: Getting started with SharePoint PnP PowerShell – installation
- In 2 steps convert a classic SharePoint page to modern using PnP
- Office 365: Retrieve hub sites and associated sites using PnP Powershell
- Create a modern team site using PnP PowerShell in SharePoint
- SharePoint admin center: Learn SharePoint online administration in an hour – step by step
- SharePoint REST API: GET vs POST vs PUT vs DELETE vs PATCH
- Office 365: Understanding the hub site in SharePoint online
- Hybrid picker in the SharePoint admin center