In this “SharePoint 2019 Features” article, we will learn about the features deprecated and removed in SharePoint 2019 and also explore the new features introduced in SharePoint 2019.
SharePoint 2019, the latest on-premises version of Microsoft’s popular collaboration platform, brought numerous improvements and enhancements. However, with progress comes change. In this article, we’ll explore some features that have been deprecated or removed in SharePoint 2019, helping you stay up-to-date with the platform’s latest offerings. First, we will discuss the deprecated and removed features in SharePoint 2019, then we will move on to the topic of what’s new in SharePoint 2019.
It is worth mentioning that every three years Microsoft releases a new version of the SharePoint server; the latest version is 2019, and its prior versions were 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, and 2003. You can refer to this article about the various version histories of SharePoint evolution and their features.
SharePoint 2019 Features: Feature Deprecated and Removed in SharePoint 2019
Whenever any new version of SharePoint is released, we hear the term deprecated/Removed feature. Today I will explain what exactly is this and what is the difference between the two.
Deprecated: what is deprecated?
The feature is still available in the product but Microsoft is not recommending to use of these features, in the feature release it may be removed with no additional notice.
“Deprecated” refers to features that are still available in the current version (SharePoint 2019), but Microsoft has marked them as outdated or obsolete. While they function in SharePoint 2019, it’s advised not to rely on them for future development. Microsoft usually recommends alternative solutions or features to replace the deprecated ones.
Removed: What is removed?
The feature is removed from the product and not supported by Microsoft. In many cases, the feature is removed from the product, but in some cases, the feature is present but not supported by Microsoft.
Features deprecated in SharePoint Server 2019:
- Access Services 2010
- Access Services 2013
- Aggregated Newsfeed
- Custom Help
- Groove Sync Client
- InfoPath Services
- Lists Web Service
- Machine Translations (and Variations)
- PerformancePoint Services
- SharePoint Designer
- Site Mailbox
- Site Manager
Removed features in SharePoint Server 2019:
- Code-Based Sandbox Solutions
- Digest Authentication
- Incoming email automatic mode
- PowerPivot Gallery and Refresh
- Visio Services – Silverlight-Based Rendering
- SharePoint Business Intelligence Scenarios
Brief Explanation: Feature Deprecated and Removed in SharePoint 2019
In this section, we will briefly explain these features and why Microsoft deprecated or removed them in the SharePoint 2019 version, or what the Microsoft alternate plan is for these features.
Deprecated Features in SharePoint 2019
What is it? SharePoint Designer is a free tool provided by Microsoft to customize, design, and manage SharePoint sites.
Why Deprecated? Microsoft has deprecated SharePoint Designer, signaling the end of major updates and support. Instead, modern alternatives like SharePoint Online and Microsoft Power Platform are recommended for customization and development.
Code-Based Sandbox Solutions
What are they? Sandbox Solutions allowed users to deploy custom code in a restricted environment within SharePoint.
Why Deprecated? Security and performance concerns led to the deprecation of this feature. Microsoft now suggests using SharePoint Add-ins or SharePoint Framework for extending SharePoint functionalities.
What are they? Site Mailboxes integrated Exchange mailbox with a SharePoint site, enabling collaboration and document sharing.
Why Deprecated? Site Mailboxes faced limitations and integration challenges. Microsoft encourages the use of Office 365 Groups for improved collaboration.
Understanding Removed Features
“Removed” features are no longer available or functional in SharePoint 2019. Microsoft has decided to discontinue these features entirely in this version.
Removed Features in SharePoint 2019
Following are the removed features in SharePoint 2019:
Code-Based Sandboxed Solutions:
Why Removed? Microsoft has completely removed support for Code-Based Sandbox Solutions in SharePoint 2019 due to security and performance concerns. All features related to this technology have been discontinued.
Why Removed? Access Services, which allowed users to create databases for SharePoint, has been removed in SharePoint 2019. Users are advised to migrate to Microsoft Power Apps for similar functionalities.
InfoPath Forms Services:
Why Removed? InfoPath Forms Services, a tool for creating and managing forms, has been removed in SharePoint 2019. Microsoft suggests using Power Apps or custom solutions for form development.
Adapting to Change
While saying goodbye to familiar features can be challenging, embracing new technologies and solutions is crucial for staying current and secure. Microsoft continuously enhances SharePoint to provide a better user experience, improved security, and performance. As you navigate SharePoint 2019, keep in mind the deprecated and removed features and explore the recommended alternatives for a seamless transition and enhanced productivity.
A Closer Look at SharePoint 2019: Empowering Collaboration and Productivity
In the above sections, we have discussed the deprecated or removed features in SharePoint 2019. Now, let us learn something about what SharePoint 2019 offers as new features.
SharePoint 2019, the latest version of Microsoft’s powerful collaboration platform, brings a host of enhancements and features to help organizations collaborate, share information, and boost productivity. In this section, we’ll explore the capabilities and benefits of SharePoint 2019 in easy-to-understand language.
Understanding SharePoint 2019
SharePoint 2019 is an advanced version of SharePoint, a popular platform that allows people in organizations to create websites and share information in a secure and organized manner. It’s like a virtual space where teams can work together, share ideas, and manage documents.
What’s New in SharePoint 2019?
Following are the new features Microsoft has introduced in SharePoint 2019:
- Modern Experience: SharePoint 2019 adopts a modern, sleek interface making it easier for users to navigate and find what they need quickly. The design is intuitive, resembling popular online platforms, making it more user-friendly and engaging.
- Improved Performance and Scalability: SharePoint 2019 is designed to handle more data and users efficiently. It’s faster and can manage a large amount of information without slowing down, making it suitable for growing businesses.
- Enhanced Hybrid Solutions: SharePoint 2019 offers better integration with cloud services, allowing users to connect with SharePoint Online seamlessly. This hybrid approach enables organizations to take advantage of both on-premises and cloud-based features.
- New Features for Administrators: Administrators have access to improved tools for managing and configuring SharePoint 2019. These tools simplify the management process, making it easier to control and customize the platform based on organizational needs.
- Enhanced Security and Compliance: SharePoint 2019 has strengthened security measures to protect your data. It ensures that sensitive information remains secure and compliant with industry regulations, giving peace of mind to organizations dealing with sensitive data.
- User-Friendly Communication Sites: Communication sites in SharePoint 2019 are designed to facilitate information sharing within the organization. These sites make it easy to broadcast messages, showcase reports, and provide important updates in a visually appealing way.
Key Benefits of SharePoint 2019
Following are the key features of SharePoint 2019:
- Streamlined Collaboration: SharePoint 2019 promotes collaboration by allowing multiple team members to work on documents together in real-time. This ensures everyone is on the same page and can contribute to projects seamlessly.
- Centralized Information Hub: With SharePoint 2019, all your important documents, files, and information are centralized in one place. This makes it simple to organize, search, and access information, reducing the time spent looking for files.
- Improved Productivity: By providing a platform where teams can work efficiently and access the tools they need, SharePoint 2019 ultimately boosts productivity across the organization. Tasks that once took hours can now be accomplished swiftly.
- Cost-Effective Solution: SharePoint 2019 offers excellent value for money by enhancing collaboration without the need for expensive third-party tools. It’s an investment that can lead to significant cost savings in the long run.
- Scalability for Growth: Whether you’re a small business or a large enterprise, SharePoint 2019 scales to meet your needs. As your organization grows, the platform can handle the increased load and data without compromising performance.
Summary: Embrace the Power of SharePoint 2019
Thus, in this article, we have learned about the new features in SharePoint 2019 and the depreciated and removed features in 2019.
SharePoint 2019 is a robust collaboration platform that brings efficiency, productivity, and ease of use to organizations of all sizes. By utilizing its modern interface, enhanced features, and powerful capabilities, your organization can unlock new levels of productivity and collaboration, ultimately leading to growth and success. Embrace SharePoint 2019, and propel your business into a more efficient and connected future.
See Also: SharePoint Online Articles
You may also like the following SharePoint Online articles:
- PowerApps hide show fields
- Conditionally show or hide columns in a SharePoint list
- SharePoint Online conditional row formatting based on a LOOKUP column value using JSON
- Power Automate[Detailed]: set item level permissions in SharePoint online step by step with HTTP request
- Office 365: Create content type in SharePoint Online using PnP PowerShell
- Office 365: How to create document library in SharePoint Online using PowerShell?
- HTML Table in Power Automate: Learn HTML table formatting using Microsoft Power Automate step by step
- Column header formatting in SharePoint list Quick Edit or Datasheet View
- SharePoint Hyperlink in Text Field: Convert a single line of text column to hyperlink using SharePoint column formatting
- SharePoint Online – O365 – How to create a Tile view in modern SharePoint online lists and configure it.
- System requirements for SharePoint Servers 2016 and 2019Show or hide columns in a list or library form