In this blog, we will learn about common failed timer jobs which generally observed in SharePoint 2019 and 2016 and their resolution.
Common Failed Timer Jobs in SharePoint 2019|2016 (time service error)
The below list of the common failure timer job in SharePoint 2019 and 2016:
- App State Update timer
- User Profile Service Application – Feed Cache Repopulation Job
- Product Version Timer Job
App State Update timer (timer job in SharePoint)
The App State Update timer job is responsible to retrieve and apply updated information on apps from the SharePoint Store, including the availability of updates and disabling the information. This job runs every hour.
If we don’t use any apps from the SharePoint app store, then we could even turn off this timer job from Central Admin – if the situation arises otherwise we can keep it as is.
User Profile Service Application – Feed Cache Repopulation Job (timer job in SharePoint)
User Profile Service Application – Feed Cache Full Repopulation Job is responsible for the repopulation of feed cache for users, If this timer job fails most probably we will not see any social feeds working in your SharePoint environment – however, it will not impact the server – if you are not using social feed cache for the users – we can ignore this timer job failure message.
Product Version Timer Job (timer job in SharePoint)
The Product Version Timer Job is responsible for putting the updated software version information from the SharePoint Server onto the SharePoint Databases. The Timer Job “Product Version Job” runs every night at 12:52 A.M and analyzes which the dlls are updated, once it gets the information then it’s put the updated version data on to Content Database “dbo.version” table.
Find the version name of SharePoint 2016 on Central Administration from this navigation -> Manage Servers in the Farm > we will see the SharePoint Configuration database version 16.0.5317.1000
Now log in to your SharePoint SQL database server (it might be a different server than the SharePoint) -> open the SQL Management Studio > connect to the SharePoint instance > locate the configuration database > open the table
“dbo.versions” you will find the same version 16.0.5317.1000
Hence putting the updated version name from SharePoint Server onto the SharePoint Databases is the Job of “Product Version”.
If this timer job doesn’t run properly, then there may be an issue with the product version mismatch during certain server-level operations (server patching or updating), mostly this we can observe we run through the SharePoint Configuration wizard.
Summary – Common Failed Timer Jobs in SharePoint Server (Timer job in SharePoint)
Thus, in this blog, we have learned about the below failure timer jobs in SharePoint 2016/2019 server and their impacts.
- App State Update timer
- User Profile Service Application
- Product Version Timer Job
We will keep adding similar failure timer jobs to this list, so let’s keep an eye on this blog. 🙂
See Also: Timer job in SharePoint issue
You may look also at this – [Fixed]: Restore the timer service in SharePoint Server using PowerShell script timer job troubleshooting article.
You may also like the following SharePoint PowerShell tutorials:
- Re-Provisioning SharePoint Search Service Application using PowerShell
- [Fixed]: Start SharePoint Central Administration service using PowerShell
- [Fixed]: Restore the timer service in SharePoint Server using PowerShell script
- [Fixed]: Remove-MsolServicePrincipalCredential : Access Denied. You do not have permissions to call this cmdlet.
- [Fixed]: The term ‘Get-MsolServicePrincipal’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file,
- [Verified]: Find all InfoPath forms in SharePoint using PowerShell
- [Verified]: Remove recycle bin items in SharePoint using PowerShell
- [Verified]: Cancel SharePoint workflows using PowerShell
- SharePoint Online: Remove custom app using PnP PowerShell
- Office 365: How to create content type in SharePoint Online using PowerShell?
- Office 365: How to create document library in SharePoint Online using PowerShell?
- Export SharePoint user information list to CSV(Excel) file using PowerShell
- How to fix “The term ‘Get-MsolUser’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet”
- How to fix the “The term ‘Get-SPWeb’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function” PowerShell error
- How to hide quick launch menu in SharePoint online using PnP PowerShell
- Edit user Permission is greyed Out SharePoint Online
- Get workflow inventory from SharePoint online using PowerShell CSOM
- Create a modern team site using PnP PowerShell in SharePoint
- In 2 steps convert a classic SharePoint page to modern using PnP
- SharePoint Online: Delete All Files from document library for the given date – PowerShell CSOM
- Create SharePoint online list using PnP provisioning template
- SharePoint Automation: PowerShell script to get remote server information
- Office 365: Retrieve hub sites and associated sites using PnP Powershell
- SharePoint Online Automation – O365 – Upload files to document library using PowerShell CSOM
- SharePoint Online Automation – O365 – Create multiple items in a list using PowerShell CSOM
- SharePoint Online Automation – O365 – Update document library metadata using PowerShell CSOM