15,640 total views, 76 views today
In this troubleshooting technique, we will learn about how to fix a SharePoint 404 error in subsite after restoring a content database.
If we google the above text we will get the multiple references for fixing this issue, for this the traditional way of fixings are:
1. The site might have been deleted, request to the site administrator to check the recycle bin.
2. Do the IIS reset.
3. Try to access the other layout page like /_layouts/15/settings.aspx(might be default.aspx or home.aspx has some issue).
4. Clear the timer job cache….etc
None of the above solutions worked for me.
Let me give you some background about the issue. I have migrated the content DB using mounting from SharePoint 2013 to 2016. All site collections along with their subsites got opened in the browser without any issue but some of the subsites did not get opened in the browser, throws 404 files not found an error. If we go to the site content structure page those subsites are available. It looks strange to me! not getting any clue. I kept on investigating this issue..tried to list out the site using SPSite collection PowerShell command, it got listed out, it made me more strange. Then I tried to connect one of the faulty subsite using ShareGate…there I saw object reference not set error. Then I have changed the direction of my investigation…I have deleted the faulty subsite and tried to recreate it again with the same name manually, then got the error, you cannot create a site with this name <IT> as this is a reserved keyword by SharePoint, it made me ridiculous how this could be reserved keyword? Then I went to check the “manage” path for this web application. Yes, found the solution…managed path was the issue. There was a “manage” path with the name IT in that web application, so we cannot create any sub-site with that name with the same hierarchy of managed path. If we delete that IT “manage” path we can create subsite and can access IT along with all subsites under this. This is how I have solved this…but nowhere got any links or clues about this. This is totally based on my personal experience….for you, the scenario may be the difference.
Example: Manage path in a web application: IT
I was trying to access the subsite like below:
http://server:1010/IT #here IT is subsite.
So if we have a manage path with the name IT, we cannot browse this subsite along with the all subsite under IT
Check the managed path and remove the manage path which is causing the issue. Here I have removed IT manage path, then it worked fine.
Thus, in this troubleshooting technique, we have learned about how to fix a SharePoint 404 error in subsite after Restoring a content Database.
- Office 365: Getting started with SharePoint PnP PowerShell – installation
- In 2 steps convert a classic SharePoint page to modern using PnP
- Office 365: Retrieve hub sites and associated sites using PnP Powershell
- Create a modern team site using PnP PowerShell in SharePoint
- In 4 steps access SharePoint online data using postman tool
- SharePoint admin center: Learn SharePoint online administration in an hour – step by step
- SharePoint REST API: GET vs POST vs PUT vs DELETE vs PATCH
- Office 365: Understanding the hub site in SharePoint online
Free download SharePoint Online & Office 365 Administration eBook(238 Pages)
Get the PDF eBook from here:
Send download link to: