14,760 total views, 4 views today
When we talk about the slowness of SharePoint list view loading – we go with the indexing the column. In this article, we will learn how to create an indexed column in SharePoint.
If you are not clear about what indexing actually is – I would recommend reading my previous article how does the database column indexing work in SharePoint. In this example, I will show how to create an indexed column in the SharePoint List.
SUPPORTED COLUMN TYPES
- Single line of text
- Choice field (but not multi-choice)
- Date/ Time
- Lookup (but not multi-value)
- Person or Group (but not multi-value)
- Title (but not in a document library)
UNSUPPORTED COLUMN TYPES
- Multiple lines of text
- Custom Field Types
- Calculated Field
- Boolean (yes/no)
- UI version
- Checked out to
- Content type ID
How to create an indexed column in SharePoint List?
Go to the list settings page in which list you want to create an index and click on “Indexed Columns” link as below:
Then, we will land into the below page – here click on “Create a new index” link like below:
Then, select the column (referring the supported columns section) which you want to index from the “Primary column for this index:” drop-down list. As an example I have selected the “Item Name” column and click on the “Create” button as below:
Then, come to the “Indexed Columns” page, we can see “Item Name” indexed column is displayed here – this section was empty just before.
How to create the indexed column automatically thru the list view filter?
If we add any indexed allowed columns(mentioned in the above section) in the SharePoint list view filter that particular column is indexed automatically. Let’s see how this can be done?
Go to the edit mode of “All Items” view.
Then, from the “Filter” section – apply filter like below. As an example I have selected the “Quantity” column and applied filter on it, then click on “OK” button.
Now, the “Quantity” column will be displayed in the “Indexed Column” page because it is automatically indexed when we have applied filter on it.
Indexes are created automatically in the following two situations:
- When saved views have columns used for sorting or filtering
- When sorting in the modern experience
Here notes to remember:
Automatic index creation when sorting in the modern experience is limited to lists and libraries with less than 20,000 items.
Keynotes to remember
- In a list maximum, we can create 20 indexed columns.
- In a list maximum, we can create an 8 Lookup type indexed column.
Hence, in this article, we have learned how to create an indexed column in the SharePoint list.
- SharePoint: Show item modified in the past 14 days in list web part
- List view threshold error(5000 items issue) in SharePoint On-Premise/SharePoint Online
- SharePoint – O365 – How does the database column indexing work in SharePoint?
- Office 365: Getting started with SharePoint PnP PowerShell – installation
- In 2 steps convert a classic SharePoint page to modern using PnP
- Office 365: Retrieve hub sites and associated sites using PnP Powershell
- Create a modern team site using PnP PowerShell in SharePoint
- In 4 steps access SharePoint online data using postman tool
- SharePoint admin center: Learn SharePoint online administration in an hour – step by step
- SharePoint REST API: GET vs POST vs PUT vs DELETE vs PATCH
- Office 365: Understanding the hub site in SharePoint online