50,326 total views, 3 views today
In this “upload failed path not found” troubleshooting article, we will learn how to fix “Upload failed path not found” or The specified path, file name, or both are too long error
Issue description – scenario 1: Upload failed path not found
A couple of years back I was working on a big migration project where I was migrating more than 200 GB of data thru a third-party tool. Migration was failing again and again so it needed my constant monitoring. The 90 percent of error was “The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters”
But when we looked at the file path – it was within the given limit. So the error message was not correct.
Issue description – scenario 2: Upload failed path not found
In the recent past suddenly one of the department site users reported that suddenly they were not able to upload the files to the SharePoint library. They were getting the below error:
“Upload failed: Path not found”. Specified path not found on the server.
Solution: Upload failed path not found (the specified path file name or both are too long)
For the above two scenario problems, the solution is the same. For the particular content database, “auto grow” size issue – Login to SQL server or ask your DB admin to check database auto-growth size settings.
- Change the maximum file size settings to “Unlimited”
- If you are good at handling the file growth size, go with it manually and choose the option “Limited to (MB)” and increase the value as per your need.
- This setting might get changed automatically over a period of time when the database size significantly grows – at least it happened with me – in my above scenario 1, even though I had set it to “Unlimited” but automatically over a period of time when migration was in progress, it was changing back to “Limited to(MB)”.
- So needs a database monitoring tool to maintain the database file size stable.
As an example, the sample screenshot is given below:
Summary: Upload failed path not found (the specified path file name or both are too long)
Thus, in this troubleshooting technique we have learned about how to fix the “Upload failed: Path not found” or The specified path, file name, or both are too long error.
See Also: SharePoint Online Tutorial
You may also like the below SharePoint Online tutorials:
- Office 365: Getting started with SharePoint PnP PowerShell – installation
- In 2 steps convert a classic SharePoint page to modern using PnP
- Office 365: Retrieve hub sites and associated sites using PnP Powershell
- Create a modern team site using PnP PowerShell in SharePoint
- In 4 steps access SharePoint online data using postman tool
- SharePoint admin center: Learn SharePoint online administration in an hour – step by step
- SharePoint REST API: GET vs POST vs PUT vs DELETE vs PATCH
- Office 365: Understanding the hub site in SharePoint online
- Troubleshooting SharePoint Server