27,041 total views, 5 views today
In this troubleshooting article, we will learn how to fix the “Site template is missing from a SharePoint subsite” issue and what is the root cause of this issue.
Issue Description: The site template is missing from a SharePoint subsite
While we go for subsite creation from a SharePoint site – quite often we may see some of the templates are not available in the template selection – it may be team site, blog site, or any other site template. We will see here what is the root cause of this issue and its fixes.
How to handle or fix the “Site template is missing from a SharePoint subsite”?
Activate the “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure ” feature from the site collection level.
Go to your “http:///_Layouts/AreaTemplateSettings.aspx”
On the below page verify which radio button is selected for “Subsite Templates“. Generally, if the second radio button i.e. “Subsites can use any site template“, we should get all the templates in the subsite that are available in the site collection.
However, if the third radio button is selected i.e. “Subsites can only use the following site templates” then we need to configure the templates accordingly – so that we will not face issues while selecting the templates from the subsites.
If we do not activate the “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure ” feature from the site collection level and try to access the “http:///_Layouts/AreaTemplateSettings.aspx” page, we will get the below error:
Summary: The site template is missing from a SharePoint subsite
Thus, in this troubleshooting technique, we have learned about when the site template is missing from a SharePoint subsite – office 365 (SharePoint Online) – how to fix it.
See Also: SharePoint Online Tutorial
You may also like the below SharePoint tutorials:
- Office 365: Getting started with SharePoint PnP PowerShell – installation
- In 2 steps convert a classic SharePoint page to modern using PnP
- Office 365: Retrieve hub sites and associated sites using PnP Powershell
- Create a modern team site using PnP PowerShell in SharePoint
- In 4 steps access SharePoint online data using postman tool
- SharePoint admin center: Learn SharePoint online administration in an hour – step by step
- SharePoint REST API: GET vs POST vs PUT vs DELETE vs PATCH
- Office 365: Understanding the hub site in SharePoint online
- SharePoint developer documentation