6,288 total views, 2 views today
As per Microsoft Update dated Jan 20, 2021, the SharePoint Spaces to be available by default in New menu-before dive into this update we should know what is spaces in SharePoint Online.
As per Microsoft, the spaces in SharePoint Online is as:
“SharePoint spaces is a web-based, immersive platform, which lets you create and share secure and extensible mixed reality experiences. Add a new dimension to your intranet by using 2- and 3D web parts to create your mixed reality vision.
Building space is a lot like building a modern site — that is, you create the space and choose options such as structure, background, and theme. Add web parts for your 3D objects, 360° images, and videos, 2D images and text, and more.”
Space example in SharePoint Online:
Update Number Details:
MC235288 · Published Jan 20, 2021, · Last updated Jan 23, 2021
When should we take an action as a SharePoint Online administrator?
Action required by Feb 16, 2021
Update Message Summary
Updated January 22, 2021: Note: The PowerShell cmdlets will be available as part of the January 29, 2021 update to the SharePoint Online Management Shell. We apologize for any inconvenience.
SharePoint spaces allow the creation and sharing of immersive or browser-based mixed reality environments using assets such as 3D models, 360° images and videos, and 2D content such as videos, images, and office documents. In October 2020 (MC224942), SharePoint spaces became generally available.
We are now including spaces in the site level +New menu by default.
Key points about this update:
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 67135
- Targeted Release (organization): early February 2021
- Standard Release: mid-February through mid-April 2021
- Roll-out: tenant level
- Control type: admin control
- Action: Review and assess by 2/19/2021
How this will affect your organization:
Users with appropriate permissions to create content on a site will see an additional entry for creating a Space in the +New menu on all SharePoint sites.
As with pages, SharePoint site owners will continue to have the option to turn off the spaces feature for their sites using the Manage Site Features page or using PowerShell cmdlets described below.
How to enable SharePoint spaces on a site?
SharePoint spaces are not enabled by default on SharePoint online site. To use SharePoint spaces, we need to enable a site feature named “Spaces“.
We can activate this feature using any one of the methods given below:
Manually by going to the manage site feature activate page:
Go to the below page and activate the”spaces” feature.
Using PnP PowerShell enable SharePoint spaces on a site
Using the below PnP PowerShell we can activate this space feature.
Enable-PnPFeature -Identity 2ac9c540-6db4-4155-892c-3273957f1926 -Scope Web
What you need to do to prepare
You should determine whether you want to maintain the current behavior (where site owners must enable SharePoint spaces at the site level before it will show in the +New menu) or have spaces shown in the +New menu by default across your tenant.
- If you want to show the Space menu item on the +New menu by default across your tenant, you don’t need to do anything except notify site owners and authors of this change. You may also want to train users or provide them with documentation as well as notify your help desk.
- If you don’t want the Space menu item to show in the +New menu across your tenant by default, you’ll need to enable the tenant-level control by executing the following PowerShell command:
Set-SPODisableSpacesActivation -scope tenant -Disable $true
- You can reverse this action and re-enable the entry of the space in the +New menu by executing:
Set-SPODisableSpacesActivation -scope tenant -Disable $false
In addition to the tenant level control, you can also use PowerShell to enable or disable the entry of the space in the +New menu for individual sites.
To disable the space entry in the +New menu on a specific site, use the following PowerShell command:
Set-SPODisableSpacesActivation -scope site -Disable $true -Identity $siteURL
Reverse this action and re-enable the entry of the space in the +New menu on a site by executing:
Set-SPODisableSpacesActivation -scope site -Disable $false -Identity $siteURL
- For both site-level commands, the variable $siteURL contains the URL to the specific SharePoint site where you want to enable or disable the +New menu entry.